The three Palmerstons | from Palmerston to Darwin
Centre of Australia
The Origin of Suburbs, Localities, Towns and Hundreds in the Greater Darwin area
Acacia Hills (Locality)
A southern Litchfield Shire locality which together with Acacia Creek running through the locality derive their names from the acacia shrub in the area. Further to the south, the Manton River goes through an ‘Acacia Gap’ before reaching the Adelaide River.
Adelaide River (Locality)
Adelaide River, Town of
This locality surrounds the Town of Adelaide River. The Town and locality take their names from the river, which was discovered by L R Fitzmaurice and C Keys of the HMS Beagle in 1839 and named in honour of Queen Adelaide, who was the Dowager Queen at the time.
The QCE Hotel (Quiet, Comfort and Ease) was established by Edward Hopewell in the 1874 on the southern bank of the River adjacent to the crossing and the Overland Telegraph Line which had been established in 1872. Following WWII, the War Cemetery, a hotel and other facilities were developed on the northern side of the crossing, the site of the Verburg farm during the 1920s.
On 11 January 1962, an area of 626.8 hectares was proclaimed as a ‘town site’ and given the name of Adelaide River.
As one of Darwin's northern suburbs, Alawa was constructed in the late 1960s. Alawa is named after an Aboriginal tribe who inhabited an area on the southern tributaries of the Roper River, centred around Hodgson Downs Station.
The street names in Alawa commemorate the residents and workers, at the old Post Office, who were killed in the bombing of Darwin by the Japanese in 1942, and the boats and people associated with the early settlement of Palmerston (Port Darwin).
One of the northern suburbs east of Lee Point Road which was under construction when Cyclone Tracy devastated Darwin in late 1974. The suburb derives its name from the Yanyula tribe (or Anula tribe) of Aboriginal people in the Borroloola - McArthur River - Seven Emus area on the coastline of the Gulf of Carpentaria.
When the suburb area was designed in 1966, the linguists spelling was that listed, but variant uses of the name were Yanyula and Janjula. Yanyula Terrace perpetuates one variant name for the tribe group, but the whole suburb enshrines Anula as the adopted name in the 1960s, gazetted finally as a suburb in 1984.
The streets in Anula are named after early NT Mines and Mineral Fields.
This original Palmerston suburb is named after James Clarence Archer who was a former post-War Administrator of the Northern Territory between 19 July 1956 and 31 March 1961. The suburb is on the southern fringe of Palmerston.
James Clarence Archer, born 28 July 1900 was first appointed to the Public Service in November, 1916 and served the Victorian Auditor General's Office between 1926 and 1938. He served in New Guinea in the Second World War. In post-War years he was in External Affairs and dealt with expropriated property in Papua New Guinea.
As a senior officer in the Department of Territories he was appointed as Administrator of the Northern Territory in 1956 and was responsible for the first Administrator's Council in moves towards self-government. In his term, the establishment of Local Government and further social and economic development in the Territory took place. Other events included the establishment of the Housing Commission and the institution of Darwin as a City by statute. He died in Canberra on 23 December, 1980.
This northern Litchfield Shire locality has been named to commemorate W Patrick Auld's initial exploration of this area in 1865.
Mr W Patrick Auld who first came to the Territory with John McDouall Stuart in 1862, came again with Boyle Finniss to Escape Cliffs in 1864, and with Surgeon B Ninnis on HMS Beatrice in April 1865, he carried out the initial exploration of the area to the west of the Adelaide River - to the Howard River, King Creek and Port Darwin.
Ayers, Hundred of
This Hundred which takes in Berry Springs and extends to the south part of the Darwin Harbour is named after Sir Henry Ayers, the Chief Secretary of South Australia (Premier) and who was honoured by the explorer WC Gosse in 1873 in naming Ayers Rock in Central Australia.
Bagot, Hundred of
Litchfield and Darwin
The Hundred extends from the RAAF Darwin ‘Gate’ area down through Berrimah to Girraween Road, 32 km southeast of Darwin.
This Hundred is believed to be named after John Tuthill Bagot, Chief Secretary in 1868-1870 in the Strangways Ministry. The Hundred of Bagot (SA) was named as such after his Irish father Captain Charles H Bagot. JT Bagot died on 13 August 1870 at a time when Goyder had finished his survey of Palmerston.
This original Palmerston suburb is named after Edward Howard Bakewell who was born in North Adelaide in 1859 and was educated at Prince Alfred College in Adelaide. After four years banking experience and three years with a large firm of shippers and millers, in 1884 he entered the firm of Elder Smith and Company and held the position of manager of their stock department for some years. He later became the Chairman of Directors of Bagot, Shakes and Lewis. He severed his connection with the firm in 1893 in order to assist Mr John Howard Angas in the management of his estates. Upon the death of that gentleman he received the appointment of general manager of the estates and Managing Director of the Willowie Pastoral Company.
Bakewell held titles within the Hundred of Bagot in the area now occupied by Palmerston. Bakewell had also been on the Council of the Royal Geographical Society in Adelaide.
Town of Batchelor, Coomalie
This locality derives its name as it surrounds the Town of Batchelor which is situated on the site of the Batchelor Experimental Farm established in 1912 by Dr J A Gilruth. The experimental station was named after Federal Minister, Egerton Lee Batchelor, Minister of External Affairs who died in October 1911.
In 1954, the Territory Enterprise Pty Ltd established aprivate mining town there (designed in an octagonal shape) to mine uranium at nearby Rum Jungle.
Bayview is a shortened version of the estate name "Bayview Haven", which is believed to have been named because the area looks over Frances Bay.
Bees Creek (Locality)
This south western Litchfield Shire locality derives its name from the stream ‘Bees Creek’, named by Surveyor George McLachlan after his survey cadet, Tom Bee. McLachlan was in change of Goyder's No 6 Survey Party when the Town of Palmerston (Darwin) was laid out in 1869. McLachlan and Bee surveyed the Sections around Wells Creek and Bees Creek.
This original Palmerston suburb is named after a local Larakia Aboriginal mentioned in Goyder's 1870 papers on the early survey expedition and the settlement of Palmerston (Port Darwin). One of the first Aboriginal people to welcome Goyder, Bellamack (also known as ‘Billiamook’ or by his nickname ‘Billy Muck’) gave W W Hoare, the Doctor's assistant, a necklace of red beads when the party first arrived on the Moonta in 1869. He gave help to the surveyors, standing between Schultze, the botanist, and a group of the tribe with spears who were demanding food (the remains of an emu). Saving the life of Schultze, he was described as:-
a handsome, well built Aboriginal whose intelligence was outstanding among his tribe and was well liked by all the members of the expedition who encountered him.
The NT Times recorded his movements over the years around Darwin and in 1882 he was sworn in before the Court as an interpreter for the Larakia Aboriginal people. He and ‘Umballa’, another Larakia, travelled widely including to Adelaide. Bellamack disembarked on return from Adelaide in the uniform of the Adelaide Volunteers.
Bellamack was described by Wildey as :-
becoming a fluent speaker of English and one of the finest to demonstrate a remarkable ability to adopt to the European culture whilst retaining his responsibilities as a Larakia.
The Military authorities in 1941, before World War II, had decided on a number of locations in the north to identify strategic "camps" on ‘the road to the North’ - "Berrimah", "Noonamah" and "Larrimah". The Military Board chose some local Aboriginal names but their advice as to the meaning was not entirely accurate.
The War Diary relates the events leading up to thebombing of Darwin and in late 1941, action was being taken to erect quickly the 119th Army General Hospital at the camp site to be known as "Berrimah", the Army quoting the origin of the Aboriginal word "to the south". The Hospital was erected on the present day Kormilda College site and was then called "Berrimah". Much of the site works were carried out by the late Mr Stan Secrett.
The original road reserve between Sections 41 and 42, Hundred of Bagot, became to be known as Berrimah Road and by September 1952, this name was officially gazetted as the access road south of the main Highway crossing to the Quarantine Station. The original camp Hospital name was therefore preserved in post-War nomenclature. The strafing of this Hospital by the Japanese in 1942 led to its eventual removal to Adelaide River. Not far away on the eastern side of Berrimah Road, a small cemetery reserve marked the graves of Japanese airmen who ironically died in the earlier attempts to bomb Darwin into submission. These graves were later removed in the 1960s to Cowra in New South Wales.
Berry Springs (Locality)
This south western Litchfield Shire locality derives its name from ‘Berry Creek’, named by Goyder in 1870, after his Chief Draftsman, Edwin S Berry, a member of Goyder’s 1869 Survey Expedition to Port Darwin. Berry went ashore on the first boat from the Moonta with George Goyder.
The area known today as ‘Berry Springs’ was originally shown by Surveyor Gilbert R McMinn on his plan of 1869 as ‘Kangaroo Falls’ with the wording ‘Recommended for Reserve’. Edwin Creek at Humpty Doo also bears Berry’s name.
Black Jungle (Locality)
This eastern Litchfield Shire locality derives its name from ‘Black Jungle’ which first appeared on a plan of the ‘Umpity Doo Homestead’ block, Agricultural Lease No 28 in 1910.
The Jungle with this descriptive name was part of Koolpinyah Station granted to the Herbert Brothers in 1907 for agricultural purposes. Botanist FAK Bleeser collected many palms in the Jungle in the 1930s. Bankers Jungle and Black Jungle are remnant rain forest areas and the latter is a Conservation Reserve.
This south western Litchfield Shire locality adjacent to the Blackmore River takes its name from the River which was named by G W Goyder during the 1869 Survey of Port Darwin and Environs after E G Blackmore who was the Clerk of the SA Legislative Council and Clerk of the Parliament.
Blackmore served in the Taranaki Rifle Volunteers in 1864 in New Zealand prior to serving as Clerk of the Parliament SA until 1887.
Blackmore Point and the Blackmore River appear on Goyder's 1869 Survey of Port Darwin and Environs.
Blyth, Hundred of
This Hundred is named after Arthur Blyth who was born in 1823, educated in Birmingham and came to South Australia with his father, William Blyth, a pioneer colonist, City Councillor in Adelaide.
Arthur Blyth entered Parliament in 1855 and represented Gumeracha in 1857. He was Commisioner of Crown Lands in 1870 when the Hundreds were named (included the Hundred of Blyth) following Goyder’s survey of Palmerston (Port Darwin) and the adjacent rural hinterland. In 1871, he was Treasurer and Premier when the first freehold titles were issued in the Territory. He became a Knight in 1877 and was associated with Sir John Downer as SA representatives at the Colonial Conference in 1887 before Federation. He died in 1891 at Bournemouth .
The Hundred of Blyth and the Hundred of Hart to the north are contained in the spectacular waterfall country of the Litchfield Park, south of Darwin.
The Blyth Homestead was established in the 1920's as an early pastoral holding and takes its name from the Hundred.
Bray, Hundred of
This Hundred is named after Sir John Bray who was born in Adelaide in 1842, the son of Thomas Cox Bray, a businessman and colonist of Adelaide of 1837. Educated at St Peter's College, he became a lawyer, but his move was towards politics which he entered in 1875 and became Minister for Justice in the Blyth Administration, succeeding Mr Justice Bundey, In June, 1881, Bray was asked to form a Government and became Premier - the first native born Premier of South Australia. In 1884, one of his Ministers, J Langdon Parsons, was appointed Government Resident of the Northern Territory.
The Hundreds of Bray and Parsons were gazetted on 6 September, 1883.
As one of Darwin's northern suburbs adjacent to the coast and the Northern Territory University, Brinkin was constructed in the 1980s. Brinkin is named after an Aboriginal tribe who inhabited an area to the south of the Daly River mouth.
The streets in Brinkin are named after boats which serviced the coast of northern Australia.
Buffalo Creek (Suburb)
This undevelop northern suburb takes its name from the stream of the same name which first appears on maps in the 1940s by the ARMY.
Camp Creek (Locality)
This south western Coomalie locality is named after the pastoral property of that name.
Casuarina derives its suburban name from the Casuarinas trees that grow along the nearby Casuarina Beach. Casuarina was the name used in the early 1960s for the proposed main business area in the northern suburbs.
Casuarina is a small suburb taking in the large shopping and business area and the adjoining emergency service facilities/ buildings.
Cavenagh, Hundred of
This Hundred is named after Wentworth Cavenagh, whose name appears on Darwin's widest Street (99 feet wide).
Cavenagh was Mayor of Adelaide in 1874. He was in the Strangways Ministry as a Minister and later became Premier of South Australia for 16 months in 1876.
Charles Darwin (Suburb)
Named after Charles Darwin National Park which is named after Charles Darwin (1804-65) after whom Wickham and Stokes named Port Darwin in 1839.
Coconut Grove (Suburb)
Coconut Grove derives it’s name from the grove of coconuts on the coastal fringe of this area, south of Nightcliff, occupied by holders of Agricultural Leases in pre-war years.
Most streets in Coconut Grove are named after local Darwin residents and interstate visitors who lost their lives during the shipwreck of the Gothenburg off the Queensland coast in 1875.
Collett Creek (Locality)
This north western Coomalie locality derives its name from the stream Collett Creek which was named by Surveyor W Harvey after Bob Collett, a teamster, on 13 November 1870. Collett and Harvey were members of one of Goyder’s teams during the Survey of Port Darwin and Environs.
Collett Creek (30 kilometres south from Southport) was the location of the ‘Travellers Rest Hotel’ operated by E Gomez from June 1874 until the murder, in March 1880, of the then proprietor Robert E Holmes. The hotel was a stopping place for teamsters and travellers moving between Southport and the Pine Creek Goldfields or the Katherine.
Colton, Hundred of
This Hundred is named after Sir John Colton, who was born in Devon in 1823 and came to Adelaide with his father in 1839 and pioneered the early SA firm of Colton and Company. He was a City Alderman of Adelaide in 1859 and was returned as a Member of the House of Assembly in 1862 for Noarlunga and took on the task of Commissioner for Public Works in the Strangways Ministry.
The Hundred of Colton on the west of Adelaide River was partly surveyed by the Finniss's surveyors in 1866 and extends down to the Manton River and takes in Fred's pass, Aulds Lagoon and the satellite Town of Daly.
This central Litchfield Shire locality derives its name from the name used by Len Cant in the 1970s for his Store and Caravan park on the Stuart Highway at the 19 Mile. Since the establishment of the Coolalinga Store, the area has become an important commercial centre for the Litchfield Shire.
Coomalie Creek (Locality)
This eastern Coomalie locality is named after the stream - ‘Coomalie Creek’ running though the locality.
Previously called the West Branch of the Adelaide River, Coomalie Creek is believed to have been first recorded by Surveyor A A Briggs in 1913 when he and Surveyor Muntz where surveying the area adjacent to the Adelaide River.
For many years the origin of Coomalie Creek, together with Glenluckie Creek, were unknown. In 1995, following Dr Mark Harvey study of Aboriginal toponyms in the environs of Darwin, it was found that these two creek names may be corruptions of the aboriginal names - ‘Gumili’ and ‘Ganlaki’ respectively.
The suburb derives its name and takes in what was the Naval base HMAS Coonawarra, now "Defence Establishment Berrimah". The wartime origin of the name is derived from the aboriginal word for “Swan”.
Cox Peninsula (Locality)
This locality derives its name from the Cox Peninsula named after Matthew Dillon Cox regarded as the Territory's first pastoralist who applied for a lease over the peninsula in 1869, just after the establishment of Palmerston (Darwin). Cox's lease never eventuated as he died before he could meet the stocking conditions.
This locality takes its name from the early townsite of “Town of Daly” which was surveyed as part of Goyder's survey of Port Darwin and Environs in 1869 and was obviously named after the nearby Daly Range, which in turn had been named, in 1862, by John McDouall Stuart after the Irish Governor of South Australia, Dominic Daly. The pegged townsite (and nearby cemetery) was never occupied under title nor effectively used as a townsite. Its few streets contain the names of the survey staff who helped carry out the pegging survey. Auld's Lagoon (called by the Aborigines "Gwiki") is adjacent to the townsite of Daly.
Darwin City (Suburb)
This suburb based on the Central Business District of Darwin derives its name from the harbour which was named by Captain Stokes and Wickham in 1839 after their former shipmate Charles Darwin who had travelled on the HMS Beagle on a previous voyage.
The settlement was named Palmerston by Goyder in 1869 and reverted to Port Darwin by the turn of the century and in 1911 was officially renamed Darwin.
Streets within the Darwin CBD were mostly named by Goyder after leading members of his Survey Expedition.
Darwin River (Locality)
This south western Litchfield Shire locality takes its name from the Darwin River which flows through the locality.
The Darwin River was given its name by Goyder in his 1869 Survey of Port Darwin and Environs to the river. Captain Wickham of the HMS Beagle in 1839 had previously named Port Darwin after his friend Charles Darwin.
The Darwin River Dam, at the rivers headwaters, was opened by William McMahon as Prime Minister in 1972 and took over as Darwin's water supply from Manton Dam.
This original Palmerston suburb is named after Mr Arthur Robert Driver, an engineer, who came from Western Australia and was appointed by the Federal Labour Government as Administrator in 1946.
The highlights of his five (5) year term include the rescue in 1947 of Bas Wie upon his stowaway arrival in Darwin from Indonesia and his term as the first President of the Legislative Council which begun in 1948. By this time Driver had embarked on the decentralisation process of establishing Elliott as the focal point between Darwin and Alice Springs in the centre of the Territory.
Driver was succeeded in 1951 by another Western Australian, Mr F J S Wise. Driver died in May of 1981.
Dundee Beach (Locality)
Dundee Downs (Locality)
Dundee Forest (Locality)
These localities on the southern shore of Bynoe Harbour and inland from Fog Bay are named after the subdivision of these names. The ‘Dundee’ is believed to be named after the popular 1988 film Crocodile Dundee.
This suburban area was left unnamed when Palmerston was divided into suburbs as the area was set aside for a University.
With urban development of this area in 1996, it became necessary to give the area a name. The suburb is named after the Durack family, pastoral pioneers of the Northern Territory and the Kimberleys.
The Durack brothers in 1883/84 drove four mobs of cattle (7500 head) from Queensland to their Kimberly properties.
By 1886, the Duracks had settled on their individual selections in the Kimberleys and had applied to secure Auvergne Station in NT from McCartney. This began the 6000 sq mile (15,500 sq kms) pastoral empire on the Western Australian/Territory Border.
Michael Durack sold most of his properties in 1950 at age 85 years and a monument was erected at Argyle to his pioneering kinsman, dying at Perth on 3 September, 1950. Dame Mary Durack Miller, born in 1913, was the eldest of "MP" Durack's family travelled and gained distinction as an author of "Kings in Grass Castles" and "Sons in the Saddle". She died in Perth in early 1995.
This undeveloped area on the western side of the upper reaches of the Middle Arm of the Darwin Harbour proposed to be named after aviatrix Amelia Earhardt is being incorporated into the adjoining Blackmore locality.
This Darwin suburb takes in RAAF Base Darwin and the airport. Eaton is named in commemoration of Group Captain Charles Eaton (1895 - 1979) British & Australian Pioneer Aviator, Diplomat and Soldier. Charles Eaton OBE, AFC, MID was born in London in 1895 and came to Australia in 1922 and joined the RAAF in 1925. He first came to the NT in 1929 to find the missing "Kookaburra". In 1938 he inspected northern defences and in 1939 was appointed OIC Fannie Bay.
In 1940 with the completion of the new RAAF aerodrome, he was appointed Station Commander of RAAF Darwin. After the War he was appointed Australian Consul in Portuguese East Timor and later Acting Australian Consular General at Jakarta.
East Point (Suburb)
East Point, Lee Point and Point Charles all appear on Goyder’s original plan of Port Darwin in 1869. This point, the easterly extremity of the entrance to Darwin Harbour has been used for a variety of purposes, including gun turrets and anchor for the submarine net during the War (1942-46), a post war golf course and currently a recreation reserve.
Eva Valley (Locality)
This locality is named after the property of that name which was situated on Miles Road to the south west of Batchelor. The area was originally known as Banyan Farm, in the 1950s, when owned by Boyne Litchfield. When purchased by the Childs family, who held the land during the 1960s and 70s, the property was renamed Eva Valley after Eva Childs, wife of Bill Childs who were joint owners. Following the sale of the land by the Childs family and subsequent subdivision, the area has continued to be known as Eva Valley.
Fannie Bay (Suburb)
Fannie Bay is believed to have been named by the surveyors of Goyder's expedition to found the present day Darwin in 1868, after Fanny Carandini, a popular opera singer of the time.
Fanny Carandini was the daughter of an exiled Italian Count, Count Gerome Carandini, tenth Marquise of Saranzo, who came to Hobart, Tasmania, in the 1840s and married Mary Burgess who became a noted opera signer. Madame Carandini and her daughters Fanny, Rosina and Lizzie formed a famed singing group, travelling widely in Australia and overseas.
In 1868 the Carandinis held concerts in Adelaide a monthbefore the South Australian Surveyor-General, George Goyder, and his party set out in the 'Moonta' to found Palmerston (the present day Darwin). One of the concerts was a benefit night for 'Fannie' Carandini and some of Goyder's surveyors would almost certainly have been there.
The reason for the difference in the name 'Fannie' or Fanny' is unclear. In his book Australasia and the Oceanic Region published in 1876, William Brackley Wildey wrote of the Palmerston of 1874 - "PALMERSTON is laid out in 1019 half-acre allotments, and extends nearly three miles across to Fanny Bay, so named by the surveyors after Miss Fanny Carandini - this is prettily and healthily situated, facing the ocean, about four miles from town, a little beyond the town boundary....."
However, Hoare, one of Goyder's party on the expedition to Palmerston, wrote in his diary "March 1 (1869): Public Holiday. I went with Capt Barneson & Dr Peel to Talc Point. Got some specimens of shells, talc and coral. I made a sketch of Fannie Bay, Point Emery....." Also, in the early maps of Darwin the spelling 'Fannie' was used.
One explanation for the confusion could be that the Carandinis changed the spelling of their names for promotional purposes. Although Fanny Carandini's death certificate reads 'Fanny', in newspaper reports and advertisements in her singing days the spelling 'Fannie' is used. Her mother appears to have done the same, changing her name from 'Mary' to 'Marie'. Goyder's surveyors would possibly have taken the version 'Fannie' name from a program or a poster advertising the Carandinis' concerts in Adelaide.
This suburban area was originally part of the Gunn when Palmerston was divided into suburbs in 1984.
However the development of Palmerston's eastern suburbs did not proceed in the 1990s as designed in 1984 and therefore the suburb of Gunn of 1998/9 was larger than that originally proposed and it was decided in 1999 to allocate a new name to the area of Gunn between the old and new Stuart Highway alignments.
The suburb is named after John Farrar, a pastoral pioneer of the Northern Territory.
John Samuel Farrar was born in Yorkshire (perhaps Bradford), England in 1838 and came to Victoria, Australia, with his father (an ex-cavalry officer) circa 1856. Little is known of the earlier years, but they both gravitated to New South Wales.
John Farrar eventually moved to Queensland where he worked as a stockman and drover on stations, such as "Kyabra", owned by John Costello who was one of the first settlers on the Bullo River. Farrar was associated with the Burke and Wills Expedition, not as an explorer but guided the party through the Diamentina country to Cooper's Creek.
After his father's death in 1874, Farrar is believed to have returned to Yorkshire to deal with his father's estate there. He returned to "Farrar's Creek" on the Diamentina River (named after him by Costello) and by 1880 had moved into the Northern Territory, managing Lake Nash for Costello for a number of years. When Costello wound up his affairs in the NT in the bleak 1890s, Farrar moved to Hodgson Downs. Farrar with his sons Robert and William Ernest held pastoral leases at Nutwood Downs and Mainoru. John Farrar spent some 14 years at Nutwood Downs (of some 1800 sq miles) after the turn of the century and at one time held Elsey Station. Although speared twice, he was well liked by Aboriginal people. In 1916/17, the Farrars left the Territory to retire at Ferney, nine miles from Maryborough, Queensland, where he was later joined by his sons Robert and John. Mrs Farrar, aged 70, died on 24 December 1917 while John Samuel Farrar died on 18 November 1918, aged 80.
Finniss, Hundred of
This Hundred is named after Boyle Travers Finniss who was born at sea, off the Cape of Good Hope, on August 18, 1807. Educated at Greenwich and then at Royal Military College, Sandhurst, he had been paid out of the military by 1835. Finniss was an Assisiant Surveyor to Colonel Light when the foundations of the City of Adelaide were laid in 1836 and became Deputy Surveyor General after the death of Light in 1839; a Police Magistrate and the Commissioner of Police. He was commissioned to form a Cabinet in 1856, but after many changes he sat in the first Parliament in 1860 and retired in 1862.
The Ayers Ministry appointed Finniss to found a settlement at Escape Cliffs in the Northern Territory in 1864. The relative failure of the expedition to establish a capital for the Northern Territory led to the abandonment of the settlement in 1866. Finniss died in Adelaide in December, 1893.
The Hundred of Finniss was gazetted in 1871 after the initial surveys were carried out in Darwin's hinterland.
Finniss Valley (Locality)
Finniss Valley is named as the stream, Finniss River flows through the locality. The Finniss River was named by Litchfield to perpetuate the name of the commandant of the Escape Cliffs settlement Colonel B T Finniss.
Freds Pass (Locality)
What is today called the Stuart Highway was until the 1930s, Fred's Pass Road, the main road leading out of Darwin from the Daly Street Bridge through Freds Pass, in the Daly Ranges, to the Town of Daly and Auld'sLagoon. These features take their names from Fred Litchfield and Patrick Auld who in 1865 explored the area today known as Litchfield Shire. The Freds Pass Reserve was created in the post Cyclone Tracy period (1974) on the original Freds Pass Road and adjoining land as a major recreation area for the Shire. The locality is centred on the Reserve, which is recognised throughout the Shire as Freds Pass.
Fly Creek (Locality)
This locality takes its name from Fly Creek which was applied by William Harvey when surveying sections of the Hundred of Cavenagh. As there were no members of Goyder's party with that name, it is assumed that Harvey was worried by flies in the area.
Gardens, The see The Gardens
This locality derives its name from Girraween Lagoon, a name given to a lagoon in Section 254, Hundred of Bagot, when in 1967 it was found to have been incorrectly shown as McMinn's Lagoon. The name "Girraween" is of Aboriginal origin and is derived from Australian Legendary Tales as meaning "the place of flowers". The locality is generally based on the Girraween Subdivision being developed by the Churcher Estate.
Glyde, Hundred of
Glyde Point (Locality)
The Hundred of Glyde, lying south of the Bynoe Harbour and east of Fog Bay, was named the SA Government after Lavington Glyde a long serving Minister.
Gylde Point, adjacent to Gunn Point, is named after the point of the same name, which was named in the 1860s and is believed to be named after Lavington Glyde.
Lavington Glyde who was born in Exeter, Devon in 1825 and emigrated to SA in 1857. He entered the SA Legislative for East Torrens and Yatala and was Treasurer in the Dutton Ministry in 1863. He was Commissioner for Crown Lands on four occasions from 1863 to 1868 and was Treasurer again for the Blyth (1873) and Bray Ministries (1885). Under his Ministry for Lands, he issued freehold titles for the NT as the result of Goyder’s survey.
Goyder, Hundred of
This Hundred lying west of the Stuart Highway, takes in the area around Batchelor and north to include Rum Jungle.
The Hundred was one of a group named by the South Australian Government in 1871. It is named after George W Goyder, Surveyor General who led the expedition which carried out the survey of Palmerston (Darwin) and its hinterland in 1869.
Born in Liverpool in 1826, Goyder was educated at Glasgow and joined an engineering firm and trained in surveying. He emigrated to NSW in 1848, moved to Adelaide in 1851 where he married Francis Smith of North Adelaide. He became Surveyor General in 1861. His Goyder Rainfall Line was a task he undertook successfully to define the northern boundary of SA’s wheat growing area. The survey of Palmerston in 1869 was one of his greater tasks in defining the capital of South Australia's new northern Province of the Northern Territory. In 1889 he was awarded the CMG and died at Warrakilla in 1898.
This suburb is named after William Henry Gray who was born in London in 1808 and who after becoming interested in the Wakefield Scheme of colonizing South Australia in 1834, arrived in Adelaide aboard the John Renwick in 1836. Gray was among the first colonists to purchase land in the new Colony. He bought large tracts of land in Port Adelaide, Palmerston (now Darwin), Southport and surrounding hinterland. He established his farm near Adelaide at the Reedbeds. He set up a Voluntary Military Force known as the Reedbeds Mounted Rifle Company in 1859.
He came to Palmerston in 1870 not long after its founding, the SS Bengal with John McKinlay and others who were seeking some investments in the north when Captain Bloomfield Douglas was the Government Resident. Gray’s lawyer, B A Moulden, was a member of the SA Legislative Council and was at one time Attorney General in the Cockburn Government of 1887. Gray was connected with E H Bakewell of the pastoral firm and the three men held titles in the area now occupied by the new Town of Palmerston. Gray died in 1896 and left a large estate to his family, with interests which have been held by them until recent post-war years.
Gregory, Hundred of
The area south of the Hundred of Finniss and between the Hundred of Blyth and Waterhouse was left unnamed until September 1953 when it was official named ‘Hundred of Gregory’, commemorating the explorer Sir Augustus Charles Gregory.
Gregory was born in Nottinghamshire in 1819 and came to Western Australia as a child in 1829. His early survey career in the west led him eventually to take on the task of leading the North Australian (Scientific) Expedition to the Victoria River District in 1855/56. He was later to become the Surveyor General of Queensland in 1859; a member of the Queensland Legislative Council in 1882. He was knighted in 1903 and died in Brisbane in 1905.
This suburb is named after Mrs Jeannie Gunn who was born in Carlton, Melbourne as Jeannie Taylor in June, 1870. She studied literature and history with her sisters and later the three Taylor sisters opened their school ‘Rolyat’ (Taylor spelt backwards) at Hawthorn in 1889.
Miss Jeannie Taylor met Aeneas Gunn, a librarian at Prahran, in the 1890s and they were married in December 1901, arriving at the Elsey in 1902. The Gunns came to Port Darwin on the "SS Guthrie". Aeneas Gunn had previously spent time in the Territory with his cousin Captain Joseph Bradshaw in 1890. Aeneas died in March 1903 and Jeannie Gunn returned to Hawthorn. Her book “We of the Never Never”, about life and the Territory people at Elsey Station became known Australia wide and in 1939 George VI awarded her the Order of the British Empire. She died in Melbourne during June 1961.
Gunn Point (Locality)
This locality takes its name from Gunn Point is the point or peninsula of land on the coast between the mouths of the Howard and Adelaide Rivers. The point gets its name from Lieutenant G S Gunn who, in 1886 with Captain McClear, carried out a coastal survey of the area in HMS Flying Fish. The peninsula, until the mid 1990s, was the site of the Gunn Point Prison Farm.
Guy, Hundred of
This Hundred is named after Michael Stewart Guy, who had joined the Royal navy at the age of 14 and had served on the Rodney & Stromboli in the Black Sea during the Crimean War. He was afterwards engaged in marine surveying, arriving in the Colonies at Tasmania in 1861. He came to South Australia under Commander Hutchison on the HMS Beatrice when he made his first trip to the Northern Territory. He died in North Adelaide from inflammation of the lungs on 4 July 1869 aged 29 years. The Hundred takes in the coastal plain area west of the Adelaide River and contains the 1954 Humpty Doo Rice Project area and the original Umpity Doo Agricultural Lease surveyed in 1908/1910.
Hart, Hundred of
The Hundred of Hart, north of the Hundred of Blyth, was surveyed in 1869 and named after the SA Premier John Hart.
John Hart was born in 1809, went to sea becoming a captain in the merchant service. He established a whaling station at Encounter Bay in 1833, before Adelaide was founded in 1836. He left the sea in 1846 and started flour mills. He joined the SA Legislative in 1857 for Port Adelaide where he started his mills. He was Treasurer in the Baker Ministry (1857), Chief Secretary in the Dutton Ministry (1863) and three times Premier between 1865 and 1871. The Hon John Hart was created a CMG and died suddenly in Adelaide in 1873.
This proposed locality on the western side of the Adelaide River, near the river’s mouth, perpetuates the name of Benjamin F Helpman, Mate of the HMS Beagle, who in 1839 had explored the River mouth and helped give the River its name - after Queen Adelaide, the wife of William IV. He had much faith in the river's potential and John McDouall Stuart was aware of his plan and work when he set out to cross the continent from Adelaide to the north coast.
This new locality, in the vicinity of Benham and Benjamin Lagoons, has previously been considered part of Humpty Doo. In order to contain the size of Humpty Doo, it was decided to establish a new locality to the north of Pioneer Drive. The locality name commemorates the Herbert Brothers, who settled at Humpty Doo (1908) and Koolpinyah developing an agricultural/pastoral enterpriseover the ensuing 70 year period. Oscar Herbert and his brother Evan both died in 1974 and are buried in simple graves at Koolpinyah Station.
This Darwin suburb is based on Holmes Jungle, named after Felix Holmes, a prominent Northern Territory citizen in the 1920s and 1930s. Holmes owned a butchery, ice works, cordial factory and power station and ran cattle in the Jungle.
This new locality to the north of Palmerston, including the Army’s Robertson Barracks, commemorates Maurice William Holtze who arrived in the Territory in 1878 as Government Gardener and set up the Experimental Gardens which later became Darwin’s Botanic Gardens. Holtze held land around from 1883 to 1917 and was engaged in an early agricultural enterprise at Jungle and Palm Creeks. This ‘Jungle’ was known as ‘Holtze Jungle’, but in post war years the area was secured as a Forestry Reserve known as ‘Holmes Jungle’ after Felix Holmes, a butcher, who in 1917 owned and raised cattle in the ‘Jungle’. The name of MW Holtze’s son Valdemar (known as ‘Wallaby Holtze’) is perpetuated in a road on the south boundary of the locality.
Howard, Hundred of
This Hundred is named after Commander Frederick Howard, RN who served under Commander John Hutchison on the survey schooner HMS Beatrice.
Commander Frederick Howard, RN was the youngest son of Edward Howard and joined the Navy in 1848, the HMS Herald in 1852 and was amoungst the South Sea Islands until 1861. Howard then served on HMS Beatrice and in 1864 served as hydrographer on the northern survey at Escape Cliffs in South Australia’s Northern Territory and thereafter as its Captain. His work on the north coast to 1866 filled in and complemented the work of Captain P P King of the HMS Mermaid in 1818.
The Howard River was named after him in 1865 by W Patrick Auld with the Finniss Survey party and consequently the Howard Springs, the feature and Howard Springs, the locality in the rural freehold south east of Darwin bore his name.
He became Commander in 1883 after being recalled to England after completing the survey of the coasts of South Australia. He was later a Hydrographer on the NSW Harbours and Marine Dept and worked on mapping the Macleay River. He retired to North Sydney and died at Milson’s Point in September, 1892 at his old home since demolished to make way for the southern approaches to the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Howard East (Locality)
This locality east of the Howard Springs has been set aside by the Power & Water Authority, as a bore-field.
Howard Springs (Locality)
Howard Springs is so named after the stream which contains the Springs at its headwater. W P Auld of Finniss’ Party named the Howard River after Frederick Howard in 1865. Captain Howard was the master of the small topsail schooner HMS Beatrice which carried out exploration work from the Escape Cliffs settlement in 1864. He charted, as a hydrographer, the mouth of the Liverpool River and the coastline between Cape Stewart and Port Essington. In 1939, Howard Springs (at one time called Worgan Springs) became the first major water supply area to service Darwin. With the war approaching, Manton Dam was constructed and took over the role of supplying water to Darwin.
This locality derives its name from the war-time airfield which was named after W A Hughes, the Director of Mines in the Northern Territory before the war, who had inspected the site with US Army Colonel Sverdrup in early February 1942 and recommended its use as an air-field.
Hughes, Hundred of
The Hundred of Hughes lies between the Hundreds of Milne and Cavenagh and contains the range which forms the headwaters of the Rivers Charlotte and Annie.
This Hundred was named in 1871 after W W Hughes (1803-1887), a prominent SA businessman.
Walter Watson Hughes was born in Pittenween, a village in Fife, Scotland on 22 August, 1803 and educated at Crail. He went to sea to the Arctic and later as Chief mate of a sailing vessel to calcutta. He purchased a brig called the Hero sailing between China and Calcutta and first went to South Australia in 1842. He settled down there to pastoral pursuits to the east of Adelaide. To him belongs the honour of discovering and developing the copper mines of Moonta and Wallaroo found on the Hughes and Duncan property in 1859-61. Whilst the mariner could not be persuaded into State politics, he did serve in the Adelaide City Council. His donation of $40,000 in 1872 for the purposes of establishing a University was remembered by people of the Colony of that time. He was knighted, settled in Bayswater, London and died at age 83 in Chertsey, Surrey in 1887.
Humpty Doo (Locality)
The locality of Humpty Doo is named after the station originally called ‘Umpity Doo’ as shown on the 1910 survey plan of Agricultural Lease No 28 held by Oscar Herbert and showing improvements around the Homestead which was to become Humpty Doo in post-war years.
The following versions of the original name have been recorded:-
(1) from the Army slang term "umpty" used in 1917 for the dash when reading morse;
(2) by W Hatfield in I Find Australia, 1943 referring to Humpty Doo Station and mentions that the name is derived from the colloquialism "everything done wrong or upside down"; and
(3) Elsie Masson's book Untamed Territory, (1914) refers to the picturesque "Umdidu", which was translated by a journalist in 1953 into ‘Umdudu’. This was supposed to be an English language corruption of an aboriginal term which meant "a popular resting place".
The Committee has been unable to ascertain the origin of the name other than Oscar Herbert called his homestead ‘Umpity Doo’ in 1910 and this gave rise to the Humpty Doo of more recent years.
Hutchison, Hundred of
Named after Commander John Hutchison who died in the prime of his life at North Adelaide in July, 1869. Entering the Royal navy in 1842 at 13 years, he was engaged on the English and Irish coasts on the HMS Herald under Captain Wolfe. He spent some time in the exploring and survey departments and went to the Pacific and the Arctic in 1852. He was appointed a Commander in 1861 in charge of the Admiralty Survey of the South Australian colony. He proceeded with Captain Frederick Howard on the survey schooner HMS Beatrice to the Northern Territory of South Australia accompanying the Col Finniss Survey Party to Escape Cliffs in April, 1864. His initial charts form the basis of the early hydrographic surveys of the north coast of the Northern Territory, adding a lot to the nomenclature of Captians P P King (1818-19) and Matthew Flinders (1802-3).
As one of Darwin's northern suburbs, Jingili was constructed in the early 1970s. Jingili is named after an Aboriginal tribe who inhabited the area around Elliott in the middle of the Territory.
The streets within Jingili are mostly named after Flying Officers killed in the Darwin area during WWII and local people killed in action in France or Belgium during World War I.
This undeveloped Palmerston suburb is named in commemoration of Commodore Eric Eugene Johnston, (1933 to 1997) Northern Territory Administrator from 1981 to 1989.
One of the new Northern Suburbs built in the 1979/80 period. In 1964, Douglas Lockwood recommended that a number of tribal names be used for neighbourhood units or suburbs of Darwin. Karama and Garawa were listed, but Karama was preferred although Welfare authorities felt that Garawa was more correct. Karama is pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable.
King Creek (Locality)
This proposed locality takes its name from the feature of that name which was applied by W P Auld in 1865 after Stephen King Snr to the upper reaches of the Creek whilst Auld was traversing from Escape Cliffs to Port Darwin.
Knuckey Lagoon (Locality)
This prominent lagoon or lagoons was named by Surveyor General G W Goyder during the Survey of the Port Darwin and Environs in 1869 after Richard Randall Knuckey, his Senior Surveyor, who took a leading part in the survey. Knuckey also surveyed part of the Overland Telegraph Line in later years. Born in Cornwall (England), Knuckey was educated in Kadina (SA), trained as a surveyor in Adelaide and served in the Northern Territory.
This locality was removed from the Berrimah suburban area in the "City of Darwin".
The original grants in 1908 to the Herbert Brothers were for leases at "Umpty Doo" and "Koolpinyah". They later combined their operation at Koolpinyah. Their homestead was near a waterhole called by the aboriginals "Gulpinyah", which was interpreted for their station name as "Koolpinyah". The Herbert Brothers, the sons of Justice Herbert, continued on their property until their deaths in 1974.
Lake Bennett is named after the dam and reservoir - Lake Bennett which is the main feature in the area. The dam was constructed by George and Ken Bennett in 1980, having purchased the land in July 1979.
Surveyors Daniel Daly and Gilbert McMinn surveyed Sections 560 and 561, Hundred of Guy, in June 1869 and showed two lagoons on their diagram. Goyder's Survey of Port Darwin and Environs indicated that the name ‘Lambells Lagoon’ had applied in 1869. Lambells Lagoon is named after the young Accountant and Postmaster at Fort Hill, J H Lambell, who kept the accounts and looked after the mail for the survey groups. Lambell issued instructions on behalf of Goyder, recalling parties etc when required. The Lambells Lagoon area and the adjoining Black Jungle to the west is a joint conservation area, whilst the Lambells Lagoon locality contains good soil and is being developed as a horticultural area.
The suburb gets its name from the original Aboriginal tribe when Darwin was founded by G W Goyder in 1869 after early abortive attempts by South Australia at Escape Cliffs. The Larrakeyah and Woolner tribes were known to and assisted the survey parties. Aboriginal camps were apparent in the area covered by the suburb to the west of the city. Larrakia (current orthography) are a group of Gulumirrigin speaking Aboriginal people. The name Larrakeyah / Larrakia would appear to have no meaning.
The name Leanyer was in general use for the area at the time of development and first appeared on 1869 survey plans. The origin is not known, but is presumed to be Aboriginal.
The roads within this suburb are generally named after coastal features and rivers in the northern part of the NT or pastoral properties owned by the developer of the subdivision - Hooker Rex.
Lee Point (Suburb)
The name of this yet to be developed suburb is derived from the point ‘Lee Point’ which appears on Goyder’s 1869 Plan of Port Darwin and probably dates back to Stokes’ examination of the Harbour in 1839.
The suburb is taken up with Defence installations.
This locality derives its name from the war-time airstrip which was named after John D Livingstone, Jnr, who was born in 1915 in Clarksburg, West Virginia, USA. On 4 April 1942, Lieutenant Livingstone was apparently wounded during action over Darwin, but managed to fly to the newly completed 34 Mile airstrip where he crash landed, dying in the resultant inferno. He was buried at ‘The Gardens Cemetery’ the following day. The 34 Mile strip was later named Livingstone in his honour.
Lloyd Creek (Locality)
Lloyd Creek is one of two creeks in the area which were named by the Finniss Party in 1864/5 and later incorporated in the Goyder surveys of the Hundreds in 1869.
Ludmilla, as a suburb, derives its name from Ludmilla Creek, believed to have been named after Ludmilla Holtze by Gustav Sabine, who was a Government Surveyor, and who carried out a survey of that particular area in 1893. As the name did not appear on any maps prior to this survey it is pretty certain to have been Gustav Sabine (Sabine Road, Millner). Not very much is known about Ludmilla Holtze herself other than she was the only daughter of Maurice and Evlampia Holtze who migratedto Australia from Hanover in 1872, together with Ludmilla and her three brothers. Both Maurice Holtze as Government Gardener (1878-1891) responsible for the development of horticulture in Palmerston (Darwin), and Nicholas (Ludmilla's brother) through his untiring work from 1891 when he took over from his father until his untimely death in 1913 aged 45, are credited with the variety of species and beauty of the Botanical Gardens as they are today.
Lyons is named in commemoration of Tommy Imabulg Lyons, a Larrakia traditional owner (Greater Darwin Area) and senior man for the Danggalaba clan, who was a member of the "Black Watch" and worked as a Police Tracker. Tommy lived most of his life on the Cox Peninsula, Dum-in-mirrie and Indian Islands in Bynoe Harbour. He died in 1978. Prior to gazettal on 7/7/2004 (NTG 27) the area comprising Lyons was part of the suburb of Lee Point.
Fred Litchfield's diary of 5 June 1865 refers to the crossing of the Adelaide River at the ‘Narrows’ and encountering ‘Malacca Creek’ on the western side of that River. Also, W P Auld uses the name on his 1865 exploration from Escape Cliffs to Port Darwin. Whether its origin lies in the shady malacca tree of Melaka or derives its name from the Straits of Malacca or a naval ship which perpetrates the city's name, it can be said this creek name was first applied in 1865. The erroneous name ‘Melacca Creek’ was applied in post-war years.
Named after the Aboriginal tribe who came from the Daly River area who have totemic groupings, (eg turtles, crocodiles, lizards etc). Alternative spellings have been Mallak, Mulluck Mulluck. It seems also to be an alternative name for the Gubabiungui who now live at Milingimbi. Although the naming intended in 1965 to have the tribe pronounced Mulluck, its name has been pronounced in a variety of anglicised forms.
This locality on the Cox Peninsula, across the harbour from Darwin, is named after "Mandorah", a guest house built in the area by Allan Hartwig.
The name was first officially recorded as an address on correspondence between Mrs Florence Hartwig and the Lands Department in May 1948. Mr Allan Hartwig held Occupation Licence No. 242 of about 20 acres.
Although the name appears first in 1948, the name could have been applied during or just after World War II.
This locality derives its name from Manton Dam, Darwin's first wartime water supply. B T Finniss, commander of the Escape Cliffs settlement named the River after his second-in-charge of the expedition, James Thomas Manton, who later took over the abortive survey task, and was recalled in 1866. Manton was a surveyor, an engineer and architect, who had built lighthouses in SA and also the Tapley Hills Road before taking on the NT task in 1864. He died in Adelaide in 1899.
Marlow Lagoon (Suburb)
Named after Joseph Marlow who came to the Territory at the age of 21 year in about 1917 from the Malay States. He was a fettler on the Railways at stages, but had an interest in Agricultural Lease No. 213 between 1927 and 1938. This lease covered the peninsula area jutting into East Arm of Darwin Harbour between Berrimah and Palmerston. It is believed that his occupation of this lease led to the use of the name Marlow’s Lagoon (for the waterhole) on pre-war plans.
In 1935, Joseph Marlow married Ellen Mary Flynn, daughter of Nellie & Tom Flynn of Rum Jungle on 26 February and they had two children. On 27 September 1940 Marlow (recorded as Joseph Marler) died at Parap (aged 46 years).
The swamp between the suburb and the Darwin International Airport is shown on Goyder's original surveys of Darwin in 1869, but it, like Leanyer, is believed to be derived from an Aboriginal name for the area. The suburb derives its name from the swamp and includes the residential area and the sporting complex between the airport and McMillans Road.
The streets in the residential area of the suburb are named after golf courses at he request of the Darwin Golf Club who developed the residential subdivision in order to develop the greens.
McMinns Lagoon appeared on Goyder's plan of the Survey of Port Darwin and Environs in 1869. It was probably applied by George McLachlan who surveyed this area, after his colleague surveyor, Gilbert McMinn, if not by Goyder himself. McMinn migrated to South Australia in 1850 and on leaving school, took up surveying. Prior to coming to the Territory as a Senior Surveyor under Goyder in 1869, he was at Escape Cliffs in 1864 with the B T Finniss expedition.
Micket Creek (Locality)
Although the name Micket Creek in various spelling forms has appeared on maps and plans since 1869 when Port Darwin and environs was surveyed by members of the Goyder expedition, the origin of the name is unknown.
As the name appears on the same plan as Leanyer and Marrara Swamps, the posibility of the name being of Aboriginal Origin can not be discounted.
More recently the Micket Creek Shooting Complex has been built in the locality, bringing various shooting clubs into the one complex.
Middle Point (Locality)
This locality technically derives its name from the ridge of fertile upland country jutting out as a "middle point" into the open plain country on the edge of the coastal plains of the Adelaide River. The CSIRO Research Station and the Middle Point School were established there in the wake of the Humpty Doo Rice Project and associated rice experiments. The original Marrakai Station was established on the River nearby.
This suburban area was named after Dr James Stokes Millner, who came to Darwin after Goyder's party and was its Medical Officer and Protector of Aborigines after Dr Robert Peel left in September 1869. He remained on as Government Resident until Captain Bloomfield Douglas arrived in 1870. He stayed on during Darwin's first 6 years and resigned and with his family perished on the ill-fated Gothenburg in February 1875.
Milne, Hundred of
The Hundred of Milne lies south of Bynoe Harbour, south of Darwin.
This Hundred was named in 1871 after W Milne (1822- 895), a SA Politician.
William Milne was born the son of a Glasgow merchant on 17 May, 1822. He left Scotland in 1839 to emigrate to the Province of South Australia. Milne took over the wine business of Patrick Auld in 1857 and joined the SA Parliament in 1857 representing Onkaparinga until 1868. In 1869 he was elected to the Legislative Council and knighted. It was his support for the Torrens Real Property Act and a Bill for the construction of the Overland Telegraph Line which obviously persuaded the SA Government to recognise his contribution by naming the ‘Hundred of Milne’ after him in the NT in 1871. The Hon. William Milne became President of the Legislative Council in 1875 and died in South Australia in 1895.
The suburb of Mitchell and nearby Mitchell Creek are named after Surveyor A J Mitchell who was a Senior Surveyor with Surveyor General G W Goyder during the surveying of Palmerston and surrounding hinterland in 1869-70. He was involved in the actual surveying of the land where the current Palmerston stands.
Following the surveying around Port Darwin, he is known to have been employed by the Lands Department in NSW prior to emigrating to California, USA, in 1874.
One of Darwin's northern suburbs, built before Cyclone Tracy in 1974. It derives its name from the Aboriginal people on the Moyle River who inhabit an area on the lower reaches of the Daly River and around Port Keats.
The suburb of Moulden is named after The Honourable Beaumont Arnold Moulden who was one of the representatives for the Central District in the Legislative Council of South Australia, Beaumont Moulden was born at Southwark, London, on 19 October 1849 arriving in South Australia with his father (Joseph Eldin Moulden) in 1850 and was educated at Mr J L Young's school. Subsequently, Moulden was articled to the late Honourable J Tuthill Bagot, MLC, and was admitted to the Bar in November 1870.
At the general elections in 1887 he was returned at the head of the poll for the Assembly District of Albert, and held the portfolio of Attorney-General in the Cockburn Government during 1889-1890, but being unable to agree with his colleagues on the progressive land tax Moulden voluntarily resigned his office. In December 1903 following a by-election, he was returned as a member of the Legislative Council for the Central District, and was re-elected for that District at the 1905 general elections. Beaumont Moulden was for seven years President of the Australasian National League. He was a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Furriers, London, and a Freeman of the City of London. In 1900, in recognition of his political services, he received at the hands of Lady Cecil, the Grand Star of the Primrose League of England.
It was in the earlier years that Moulden became involved with W H Gray as his solicitor in acquiring land near Darwin and, in 1871 together with Gray's son, F J Gray, and E H Bakewell, Moulden held an interest in Section 83 Hundred of Bagot near to the present suburb of Moulden.
Muirhead is named in commemoration of James Muirhead, AC (1925-1999) Royal Commissioner into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody, barrister, Supreme Court Judge, and Administrator. He is especially known for his work as the Commissioner into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody in the early 1990s. Prior to gazettal on 7/7/2004 (NTG 27) the area comprising Muirhead was part of the suburb of Lee Point.
Subdivision development of this suburb is not expected to start until 2008.
This locality on the coast of Shoal Bay, south of Gunn Point, was officially named in . The area has been provisionally set aside for a residential subdivision. The area was part of Alf Hart's original Agricultural Lease in 1923. Murrumujuk is of Aboriginal origin and relates to the Whale Dreaming.
One of Darwin's northern suburbs just established before Cyclone Tracy in 1974. It derives its name from the Aboriginal tribe who occupy the coastal area of Boucaut Bay, west of the Blyth River in northern Arnhem Land. Most of the Nakara people now live at Maningrida.
The streets in Nakara are mostly named after early residents of the Territory.
Narrows, The - see The Narrows
‘Night Cliff’ appears on Goyder's original plan of Port Darwin (1869), but could have originated between Stokes' examination of the harbour in 1839 and that time. Many people believed, incorrectly, it came from a misspelling of J G Knight's name, but he arrived in 1873.
When Nightcliff became a Town for land title purposes in 1948, the Nomenclature Committee of the day agreed to the conjoint name ‘Nightcliff’. The new Progress Association of the 1950's before Local Government arrived in Darwin applied the floral and shrub names to the suburbs streets.
The name was applied by the Army in 1941, when the Military Board ascribed a series of names to new military depots and camps in the NT. Berrimah and Larrimah were two other names applied. Noonamah was taken from the language of the Wagaman Aboriginal people and means ‘plenty of tucker and good things’. Noonamah contained a number of Army wartime units and some wartime recreation events were held in the area.
Parap derived its name from that applied by Dr J A Gilruth, first Commonwealth Administrator in 1912. He applied the name Paraparap (believed to have been a pastoral property of Dewing near Moriac, Geelong), but had to abbreviate it to Parap later during his term. It became well known as the 2½ Mile in subsequent years, being near the Railway Workshop when the train ran in pre-War years.
Parsons, Hundred of
The Hundred of Parsons, named in 1883, is on the Cox Peninsula, east of Belyuen (Delissaville).
This Hundred is named after The Hon John Langdon Parsons who was born at Botathen, near Launceston, Cornwall in 1837, the son of Edward Parsons, he studied for the Baptist Ministry in London and went to South Australia in 1863 and had four years in New Zealand as a minister. He stood for Encounter Bay in South Australia Parliament in 1878 and was particularly active in education. In 1881 in the Bray Administration, he became Minister for Education and became ‘Honorable’ J L Parsons. He was Government Resident at Palmerston from 1884 to 1890 and in 1896 he was appointed Consul for Japan.
Paton, Hundred of
This Hundred of some 115 sq miles on the west side of the Adelaide River was gazetted by Surveyor General G W Goyder on 4 September, 1879.
This Hundred is probably named after Dr David Paton, a prominent South Australian, who was born in Dunfermline, Fifeshire, UK in March, 1841 and was known to Goyder whose family came from Glasgow. He had married in Scotland and then came out to Australia to the call of the Chalmers Church in Adelaide in June, 1877. Later he was elected to the Council of the University in 1886 and became a Governor of the Public Library and Museum.
Playford, Hundred of
The unnamed area south of the Hundred of Howard and east of the Hundred of Waterhouse was named in 1953 by the Nomenclature Committee, after E C Playford, a former Director of Lands and Mines, 1921-25 in the NT.
Edward Copley Playford was the second son of Thomas and Mary Playford, his father serving twice as Premier of South Australia. The original Town of Playford (now Pine Creek) was named in 1887 after Thomas Playford. Copley Playford was appointed as Chief Warden of the Goldfields in the NT in July, 1898 and as a surveyor contributed a great deal to mining and other surveys in the NT. He was Acting Administrator for a time in 1925 before the appointment of R H Weddell in 1927. He died aged 86 in Adelaide on 17 September, 1950.
Rapid Creek (Suburb)
Rapid Creek derives its name from the fast flowing stream in the Wet season which flows from the Marrara Swamp to the sea at Casuarina Beach. It was first settled by the Jesuit Mission under Father Strele, but was abandoned before the turn of the century. After Nightcliff expanded as a seaside suburb in the 1950's, the residential area expanded to Rapid Creek.
Rapid Creek prior to the war was a favourite day trip / picnic area for Darwin people, along the bush track which was to become Bagot Road and McMillans Road.
The streets in Rapid Creek are mostly named after Police Officers.
This suburb is named after the Fifth Earl of Rosebery who was born in London as Archibald Philip Primrose and was to become a British statesman including the Prime Minister of Britain.
It was during his overseas visit in 1884 that the South Australian Government decided to name additional Counties in the Top End. After the initial group of Palmerston, Gladstone and Disraeli, the County of Rosebery was gazetted in 1885, together with the County of Malmesbury. Rosebery covered the area north of Pine Creek with Malmesbury being to the west over the Daly River area.
The Place Names Committee in conjunction with the Palmerston Development Authority decided to perpetuate the Rosebery name as the County of Rosebery fell into disuse and was cancelled on 7 January 1977.
Rum Jungle (Locality)
The jungle and adjoining land gained its name from an incident around March 1873, when John Lewis’s teamsters, whilst carting stores from Southport, a small port town across the harbour from Palmerston (now Darwin), to the mining fields around Pine Creek, tapped a cask of rum and delayed the team for several days. The jungle, 38 kilometres south of Southport was used as a teamsters camp because of the availability of good spring water and grass. The name Rum Jungle has been used since 1873 with the reporting of the death of Patrick Flynn at Rum Jungle. David Lithgow built and opened a hotel on a rise overlooking the creek and jungle in 1874 and with the construction of the railway from Palmerston (Port Darwin) to Pine Creek in the late 1880s, a gangers camp was established nearby. By 1890 the hotel ceased to be licensed and by the early 1900s all that existed to remind travellers of the existence of the hotel were footings and the rubbish dump.
In 1948, the Federal Government offered a reward for the discovery of uranium in Australia. Mr Jack White, a local Batchelor prospector and farmer, having viewed a BMR brochure on radioactive minerals reported the occurrence of uraniferous minerals in August 1949. The mining of uranium ore commenced in the Rum Jungle area in 1950 and continued until 1969, mostly by the open-cut mining method.
Sanderson (Town of)
Hundred of Sanderson
The Town of Sanderson is not a town as such, but an area of land within the Municipality of Darwin and contains a number of suburbs Anula, Wulagi, Karama and Malak.
The Hundred of Sanderson was proclaimed in 1879 for the area of Lee Point and Shoal Bay near Port Darwin and is belived to be named after Frederick James Sanderson, SM JP who entered the public service as a clerk in July 1854, aged 20. In 1862, Sanderson was appointed Secretary to the Land Titles Commissioner and Secretary to the Attorney-General in December 1870. He was the first Commissioner of Patents and in 1878 was appointed as Collector of Customs and Chief Inspector of Distilleries in 1879. In 1888, he was appointed President of the Marine Board as well as Collector of Customs. He died in 1903, aged 69 years.
In 1963, the Govenor-general was asked to revoke the Hundred of Sandersonn and to include the area in the Hundred of Bagot. The then Minister for Territories requested that Sanderson's name be preserved in some way.
The Town of Sanderson was proclaimed in 1972 for the area to the east of Lee Point Road in Darwin's northern suburbs.
Shoal Bay (Locality)
This proposed locality takes its name from the feature named by Captains Wickham and Stokes on the HMS Beagle in 1839, who anchored in Shoal Bay and named it before going on to discover Emery Point and Port Darwin. The bay was named because of its shallowness.
Town of Southport
This locality is based on the Town of Southport. During Goyder’s Survey of Port Darwin and Environs in 1869, four small satellite towns were surveyed in the hinterland around Darwin. Southport, as one of these satellite towns was pegged at the junction of the Blackmore and the Darwin Rivers and soon became the commencement point for overlanders to the Pine Creek goldfields. When, in 1885, the rail link between Palmerston and Pine Creek bypassed the town on a more direct route, Southport slowly declined in status. Wells, floor slabs and other relics are all that remain from the once prosperous town which was larger than Palmerston. The old Cemetery contains some 60 people who died at Southport during those early years. Only in recent years have people again begun to reside on the freehold lots of this old historic Townsite.
This locality takes its name from the Stapleton Creek which was named by Surveyor G McMinn after James L Stapleton, a field operator during the construction of the Overland Telegraph Line and later Officer in Charge of the Port Darwin Telegraph Station, during 1871. Stapleton as Senior Telegraph Operator at Barrow Creek was speared on 22 February 1874 and died the following day, aged 41 years.
As with Collett Creek and Rum Jungle, during the late 1870s Stapleton Creek was the site of a hotel ‘Our House Hotel’ with Edward D Matthews as proprietor from June 1874. It was 67 kilometres from Southport.
In the early period of the North Australian Railway, trains stopped at Stapleton Creek. During the early 1900s, a siding was placed at Stapleton Creek, expanded during the War to a loop line which continued in use as an ore train crossing point in the early 1970s.
Strangways, Hundred of
This Hundred is named after H B T Strangways, a South Australian member of the House of Assembly in 1858, later in 1860 was Attorney General. He was Premier in 1868 to 1870 and contributed greatly to the events of this period which led to the Overland Telegraph Construction for the Colony. Goyder felt that his work as Premier and Attorney General earned him a name in the "Hundred of Strangways" in the Northern Territory. The Hundred stretches from the Stuart Highway south to Girraween.
Stuart Park (Suburb)
This area derived its name as part of Parap after the Army had left in 1946 and a number of Sidney William hutments remained. The Parap Parish Hall between Westralia Street and Charles Street existed in 1949, but was not named until 1954. When Administrator Driver was making the first moves towards local government, local Progress Associations were set up, including Stuart Park in 1950. It is believed that the park or camp area, formerly part of Parap, got its name as a separate unit from the park/camp area near the Stuart Highway which in turn is named after McDouall Stuart.
The Gardens (Suburb)
This suburban name is derived from the Botanic Gardens which began with the appointment of Maurice Holtze as the Curator in 1878 and has grown to have one of the largest known collections of palms. Holtze used the Gardens area to investigate the possibility of growing sugar cane and cotton in the Territory.
A small residential area adjacent to the Botanical Gardens was called Palmerston Gardens in 1968, but to avoid confusion with the ‘new’ Palmerston, the Palmerston appellation was discarded in 1984 when the suburb was officially named.
The Narrows (Suburb)
The Narrows, as a suburb, derives its name from the name given to the narrow strip of land between Ludmilla and Sadgrove Creeks.
The name appears on early plans of Darwin and was retained as a suburb name when the area of land south of the RAAF Base was subdivided in 1960.
One of Darwin's northern suburbs, partly built before Cyclone Tracy struck in December 1974. It is the aboriginal word used for the people of Melville and Bathurst Islands which lie some 50Km to the north of Darwin.
Bathurst and Melville Islands are known collectively as the Tiwi Islands.
Tiwi simply means "people" being the plural form of the islander's word for an island man (Tini) and women (Tinga).
The streets in Tiwi are mostly named after pastoral stations.
Tortilla Flats (Locality)
The Tortilla Flats locality is named after the former Government Experimental Farm of that name. The origin is derived from John Steinbeck’s book Tortilla Flats, 1963, as it was thought at the time Steinbeck’s characters were matched by those working on the farm.
The Experimental Farm commenced in 1958 with the view to cattle rotation, rice and pasture growing experiments. The farm was sold at auction in 1990.
Tumbling Waters (Locality)
The locality derives its name from the town which was named after the rapids “Tumbling Waters” where Mr R C Burton discovered gold in 1869 whilst prospecting for minerals on behalf of Goyder. The Town of Tumbling Waters was surveyed by A H Smith, 4 miles south of Southport on the Blackmore River, as part of Goyder's Survey of Port Darwin and Environs. A construction camp for the Overland Telegraph Line was established at Tumbling Waters whilst a wayside hotel was erected on the coach road to the goldfields (now called Mira Road) in 1873. Surveyor A L McKay extended the town further north in 1874. The townsite declined in importance when, in 1885, the rail line replaced the coach road to Pine Creek.
This locality is named after the small satellite town surveyed by George McLachlan in 1869 as part of the Goyder Survey of Palmerston of that year. The townsite was located on the Elizabeth River. These two names appear on Goyder's plan the Survey of Port Darwin and Environs, but their origin is obscure. It is believed that only one title was issued on the waterfront in this area. Many of the original street names have been applied toroads in the area and Virginia Road now gives access to the main freehold blocks surveyed by McLachlan in 1869. Virginia has been used as a name for the area since the 1870s, following the subdivision of the original sections.
One of Darwin's northern suburbs built before Cyclone Tracy struck in 1974. It derives its name from the Aboriginal people who inhabit the upper reaches of the Daly River, around Dorisvale and Oolloo Stations and most of those surviving are now found there and at Adelaide River. The usual spelling is WAGAMAN, although the form WAGGAMAN has been widely used.
The streets in Wagaman are mostly named after Dutch explorers of the north Australian coast and their boats.
Wagait Beach (Locality)
This locality on the Cox Peninsula, across the harbour from Darwin is named after Wagait Beach which in turn was named after the Wagait Tower.
The Wagait Tower was constructed during World War II overlooked the beach and was visible for some miles out to sea. It was destroyed in 1974 by Cyclone Tracy.
The name Wagait or its derivative Wogait, was first recorded by Mackillop in 1893 for the Aboriginal tribal group which lived along the coast north of the Daly River.
Wak Wak (Locality)
This locality is named after aboriginal name for the area ‘Wak Wak’ at the request of the Litchfield Shire Council.
One of Darwin's northern suburbs built before Cyclone Tracy struck in 1974. It derives its name from the Aboriginal Tribe, one of the relatively small clans of North East Arnhem Land. The Wangwu people spoke a slightly different dialect from those of their neighbours and their country lay in the area between SE Arnhem Bay and Caledon Bay. Most now live at Yirrkala.
(The 'N' and the 'G' should be pronounced separately WAN-GURI; possibly the correct spelling is WANG-GURI, but Wanguri is in general use).
The streets in Wanguri are mostly named after early Greek residents of Darwin.
Waterhouse, Hundred of
This Hundred covers the area south of Batchelor to near Stapleton Creek.
This Hundred was named in 1871 after G M Waterhouse a SA politician.
George Marsden Waterhouse was born in Penzance, Cornwall on 6 April, 1824 the son of the Rev John Waterhouse and educated at the Wesleyan College in Bristol. His father left with the family for Hobart in 1839 and in 1843 moved to Adelaide. G M Waterhouse was elected to the SA Parliament for East Torrens in 1851. He served as Premier between 1861 and July, 1863 and went to New Zealand in 1864 and became Premier of an Australian Colony and also of New Zealand. He was later Acting Governor of New Zealand and retired to England.
This locality adjacent to the Stuart Highway near Noonamah, in 1987 was recognised as a future 'satellite' city for Darwin is named after R.H. Weddell, Northern Territory Administrator between 1928 and March, 1937.
This industrial suburb to the south of the airport derived its name from the 'Winnellie Camp' formed there by the Army in 1941. It is believed that the name came from the conjoint name of 'Winifred' and 'Nellie', wives of two officers who were involved in building the camp.
This suburb is named after George WOODROFFE Goyder, Surveyor-General of South Australia from 1861 to 1893. Goyder was born in Liverpool in 1826 to a Dr David George Goyder and his wife Sarah (nee Etherington). The family later moved to Glasgow and after obtaining his education at the Glasgow High School, Goyder was articled to a firm of Engineers studying surveying.
Goyder migrated to Australia in 1848 and joined the Colonial Engineer's Office in Adelaide in 1851. He became Deputy Surveyor-General then Surveyor-General in 1861, remaining in this position until 1893. In 1868/69 Goyder was appointed by the South Australian Government to carry out a survey of land in the Northern Territory.
Named after the Woolner (Wulna) Aboriginal tribal group which occupied the area east of Darwin when the town was founded in 1869.
One of Darwin's northern suburbs east of Lee Point Road built after Cyclone Tracy struck Darwin in late 1974. It derives its name from an Aboriginal tribe on the Blyth and Cadell Rivers in Central Arnhem Land. It has four male subsections WAMUD, KARAMANG, BURALANG and BALANG and BILINJIL (female).
The streets in Wulagi are named after birds found in the Northern Territory.
This suburb is named after the Yarrawonga Park Zoo, a wildlife park, established on freehold land in the area in 1965.
The late Dr Alex McKenzie and Mrs Jean McKenzie came to Darwin in the post-war years and settled at Pee Wee Camp at East Point.
It is believed that the name came from Victoria, the Aboriginal word origin being ‘the place where the wonga pigeon nested’.