In the Northern Territory, dual naming is where a physical feature has been officially given a name which includes both the traditional Aboriginal name and the introduced European (or English) name recorded by an explorer.
The name can be in either order and is separated by a solidus (/) and is registered as one name. The order the name appears will be determined by the Place Names Committee after consultation with all interested parties.
The name as approved and registered should be shown on and in official documents and publications, however in unofficial documents and publications either name can be used.
Over time the order the dual names appear may be changed.
Information on "dual naming" of places in Australia can be found on the publications page of the Committee for Geographical Names in Australasia website.
In 1873, Ayers Rock and Mount Olga were named by the SA Government (recorded in South Australian Parliamentary Paper 48 of 1873).
Since 1894, both Uluru and Kata Tjuta in varying forms have been recorded, though not as widely as their English equivalents, named by the SA Government.
On 15 December 1993 this feature was the first officially dual named feature in the Northern Territory - Ayers Rock / Uluru.
Following a request from the Regional Tourism Association in Alice Springs, on 6 November 2002 the order of the dual names was officially changed to Uluru / Ayers Rock. Further information on Uluru / Ayers Rock can be found in the Register.