Help searching for place names
Use the tips below to help find what you need in the database.
- Only include the first part of a place name in the search field. Do not include:
- road type (eg road, street, close)
- feature type (eg mount, river, hill).
- Check the box next to 'Similar sounding names' to broaden your search and allow for variations in spelling of a particular name, or to find other places with names that sound similar.
- Use the 'Advanced search' function to narrow your search or search by attributes.
- If you find the information in the database is incorrect or incomplete, fill in the contact form so we can correct the database.
- If no history/origin data is recorded against a place name, fill in contact form as we may have additional information on paper files which hasn’t, as yet, been added to the database.
Icons you will see
|Indicates place names with map location data that are found as a result of a search. If you click on a blue icon, the icon will change to orange and information about the selected place will display in the information panel.|
|Indicates a selected place name with map location data. Information about the selected place is displayed in the information panel.|
|Indicates other place names in the surrounding area with map location data.|
|If you have moved the map and want to return to a selected place name, click on the re-centre icon at the top left-hand corner of the map.|
The place names database is divided into the following data or place names types, coinciding with the types of places as defined by section 4A of the Act.
|Place name type||Definition|
|Road names||Highways, roads, streets, lanes, trails or thoroughfares that are open to or used by the public|
|Feature names||Geographic or topographic features (whether or not covered by water)|
|Aboriginal communities||Aboriginal communities and family homeland centres (including town camps)|
|Parks and cemeteries|
Parks, gardens, reserves, recreation or sporting grounds that are open to or used by the public and public cemeteries within the meaning of the Cemeteries Act 1952
|Suburbs, localities or administration areas||County, hundred, town, suburb or locality within a town or a site for a town|
|Infrastructure||Public infrastructure associated with transport facilities, education or medical institutions or nursing homes|
|Points of interest||Places, structures or buildings that are or may be of public or historic interest, including places on the Northern Territory Heritage Register|
Place names in the place names database have been allocated the following status value to indicate if the place name is registered or not.
|Registered||A name gazetted or registered under the Place Names Act 1967|
|Assigned||A name assigned under another Act - eg the Education Act 2015|
|Revoked||A gazetted or registered name which has been revoked or altered or where the road which has been named has been closed|
|Historical||An historical name shown in an official publication or on an official map or chart for which the location of the place can not now be ascertained or is unknown; the place no longer exists; or the name has been superseded by another name|
|Recorded||A name which has not been registered but is shown on an official map or chart|