Help and More Information
- Only include the first part of a place name in the search field. Do not include road type (i.e. Road, Street, Close etc.) nor the feature type (i.e. Mount, River, Hill).
- Select “Search all names”, to broaden your search to include cultural feature and all names appearing on current and historical maps and charts and in historical publications, not just approved / registered names.
- To narrow your search to the name of a particular type of place or to a particular local government area, use the Advanced Search facility.
- If you wish to do a spatial search, it is suggested you use the NT Atlas
- If you find the data in the Register is incorrect or incomplete, please complete our online form or contact us so we can correct the Register
- If no history/origin data is recorded against a place name, please contact us as we may have additional information on paper files which hasn’t, as yet, been added to the Register.
The Place Names Register has been developed using Web Feature Server (WFS) software. When a search is made of the Register, the result obtained is the data which is held in the Register at that time.
Depending upon the type of place, the Register will hold location, suburb/locality, gazettal, local government and historical and/or origin information on the name.
The Committee has determined that the Register will only provide base information on the history and/or origin of a place name. More information can be obtained using resources listed under Further Reading on the links page.
The Place Names Register is divided into the following data or place names types, coinciding with the types of places as defined by section 4A of the Act.
|Place Name Type||Definition|
|Road Names||Highways, roads, streets, lanes, trails or thoroughfares that are open to or used by the public.|
|Feature Names||Geographic or topographic features (whether or not covered by water)|
|Aboriginal Communities||Aboriginal Communities and family homeland centres (including town camps)|
|Parks & Cemeteries|
parks, gardens, reserves, recreation or sporting grounds that are open to or used by the public and public cemeteries within the meaning of the Cemeteries Act.
|Suburbs, Localities or Administration Areas||County, hundred, town, suburb or locality within a town or a site for a town.|
|Government Infrastructure||Public infrastructure associated with transport facilities, education or medical institutions or nursing homes|
|Points of Interest||Places, structures or buildings that are or may be of public or historic interest, including places on the Northern Territory Heritage Register|
Place names in the Place Names Register have been allocated the following status value to indicate if the place name is register or not. Place names which have not been registered are grouped into five status groups.
|Registered||A name gazetted or registered under the Place Names Act.|
|Assigned||A name assigned under another Act.|
|Revoked||A gazetted or registered name which has been revoked or altered or where the road which has been named has been closed.|
An historical name shown in an official publication or on an official map or chart for which the location of the place can not now be ascertained or is unknown; the place no longer exists; or the name has been superseded by another name.
|Recorded||A name which has not as yet been registered but is shown on an official map or chart.|
|Proposed||A name proposed by the Committee but which is not yet registered under the Act.|