Help using the place names register
Use the tips below to help find what you need on the register.
- Only include the first part of a place name in the search field. Do not include:
- road type (eg road, street, close)
- feature type (eg mount, river, hill).
- Select “Search all names”, to broaden your search to include cultural feature and all names appearing on current and historical maps and charts and in historical publications, not just approved/registered names.
- To narrow your search to the name of a particular type of place or to a particular local government area, use the Advanced Search facility.
- If you wish to do a spatial search, it is suggested you use the NT Atlas
- If you find the data in the Register is incorrect or incomplete, fill in the contact form so we can correct the Register
- If no history/origin data is recorded against a place name, fill in contact form as we may have additional information on paper files which hasn’t, as yet, been added to the Register.
The Place Names Register is divided into the following data or place names types, coinciding with the types of places as defined by section 4A of the Act.
|Place name type||Definition|
|Road Names||Highways, roads, streets, lanes, trails or thoroughfares that are open to or used by the public.|
|Feature Names||Geographic or topographic features (whether or not covered by water)|
|Aboriginal Communities||Aboriginal Communities and family homeland centres (including town camps)|
|Parks & Cemeteries|
parks, gardens, reserves, recreation or sporting grounds that are open to or used by the public and public cemeteries within the meaning of the Cemeteries Act.
|Suburbs, Localities or Administration Areas||County, hundred, town, suburb or locality within a town or a site for a town.|
|Government Infrastructure||Public infrastructure associated with transport facilities, education or medical institutions or nursing homes|
|Points of Interest||Places, structures or buildings that are or may be of public or historic interest, including places on the Northern Territory Heritage Register|
Place names in the Place Names Register have been allocated the following status value to indicate if the place name is register or not. Place names which have not been registered are grouped into five status groups.
|Registered||A name gazetted or registered under the Place Names Act 1967.|
|Assigned||A name assigned under another Act - eg the Education Act 2015.|
|Revoked||A gazetted or registered name which has been revoked or altered or where the road which has been named has been closed.|
|Historical||An historical name shown in an official publication or on an official map or chart for which the location of the place can not now be ascertained or is unknown; the place no longer exists; or the name has been superseded by another name.|
|Recorded||A name which has not as yet been registered but is shown on an official map or chart.|